Saturday 3 January 2009

First blog

After an amazing holiday season with the girlf. I was on my way to work early this morning (yes thats right my first day of work in 2009 is a Saturday) when as an alternative to being miserable I decided to try and see if I could get my smart phone doing some of the cool stuff it is supposed to be able to do, up and working. I have had a few attempts to do this before and have down loaded a few bits and bops to my phone and signed up to a few things online. But doing so was what is technically know as a "ball ache" I kind of stopped part way through as my enthusiasm started being sapped. This morning however, as I had already done the hard part, it was easy pesy.

The first thing I got working and understanding was my phones ability to steam internet radio. I got started on this because I was approached a couple of months ago by a chap I know at work who is a DJ. He asked me about streaming stuff on to my phone from the Internet such as Internet radio.

As I was pretty ignorant of "the how" to but knew in theory that my phone could do it, as I had intended to do all this jiggery pokery when I got the phone but had not found the time. I started to research it in my next few Saturday lunch times. And as my work Internet is limited I did my research on my phone.

This is the point it all went ball achey.

The phone I have is the bog standard N95 on contract with a monthly unlimited web data bundle er thing. This means I can surf the net all I want. Down load what I want. Stream what I want on a fixed monthly charge (I thing just under £8). Which is really useful as I have wanted to arse bout on line with a phone since Wap.

But anyway, researching online with an N95 can be a pain as you tend to have to make every thing HTML as it bitches about anything Flash and the bog standard has less RAM then teh N95 8Gb version (which I think has twice teh RAM). But! I eventually found on the Nokia web site two free down loads for my phone one was an Internet radio player I think its really a plug in for the N87 or some thing but works on the N95. Yay. The other programme is Pod casting (which I have yet to work out).

So anyways, this morning I finally got the Internet radio player working and now am listening to Internet radio station NSB http://www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/ via my phone. My advice to anyone doing the same is this: take your charger with you where ever you go. doing anything online will kane your battery real fast. I ended up changing trains on my journey to work and had to plug my phone in to the waiting room sockets and similarly had to do the same on the train. getting strange looks from passers by as i did so.

The other thing I did was set up a link from my GMail to Blogger which I used to write the first half of this blog (as my finger slipped I ended up sending half the blog before I finished and am now finishing it in the online edit thing on the web site proper). My next thing is linking Flickr to blogger and my mobile phone then its all good for full on random blogging. Ah YEAH!

--
Sent from my mobile device. Oh, and a PC when I fecked up.

No comments: